2/15/12

Make: Milk Tea Boba

It's no secret that I love me some milk tea boba. Middle school fad turned current obsession, boba is something I just can't seem to pass up lately. My favorite boba spot in the city is, hands down, Four Leaf Cafe in Little Tokyo. Their boba is sweet, has the right amount of chew (and believe me, I'm picky) and their milk tea is just right. After far too many trips to Four Leaf to get my boba fix, I decided to try making some at home. 

Since there aren't too many ingredients, I didn't want to skimp on quality. I bought some of Four Leaf's loose leaf black tea, and took a cue from SF-based Boba Guys (one half of which is YMFY - super cool blog) and got Strauss Creamery milk and creamer. I bought some soy milk too cause I wanted to experiment to see which milk base I liked best. (Verdict? Three way tie.) Finding the tapioca pearls required a bit of a hunt, but I found them at a market in Alhambra. When looking for tapioca pearls, all Asian markets are not created equal. Make sure to go to a Chinese one, they'll have what you need.

I've still got a bit of perfecting to do before I get something Four Leaf-worthy, but I'm stoked that I can whip up a cup of milk tea whenever a craving strikes. (Not gonna tell you how often that is...) 

Some tips:
  • Brew the tea extra strong if using it for iced milk tea.
  • Boil boba a little longer than seems necessary. It hardens after it cools down.
  • Hate to sound all Rachael Ray, but you really can use whatever you have on hand. Use green tea instead of black, rice milk instead of creamer, agave instead of honey, etc.
P.S. If you happen to know any other good boba spots in LA, share the love! :)

11 comments:

  1. yum! after going through 4 gallons of horchata...i'm ready to move onto this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is great! I miss bubble tea in Taiwan (the birthplace of the creation). I will in May, at least. You have a lovely blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! Man, I would be one happy kid in Taiwan. I hope your move goes smoothly!

      Delete
  3. Yum, I grew up drinking boba as well but now that I'm on a strict budget I don't get to have it often. Tempted to make it at home now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOU'RE BOTH MAKING THIS FOR ME AND TAKING ME TO FOUR LEAF..whenever i make it to LA

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you made this, go you! I especially like Cha for Tea in Alhambra, the city where I was raised. #sgvpride

    ReplyDelete
  6. yummmay! you can always come back up for a visit and i'd be happy to take you to verde any time!;D

    ReplyDelete