4/10/12


A couple things to check out if you're in LA...

Moth Story Slam: I caught a Slam last week at Zanzibar in Santa Monica. So much fun! Here's how it works: Ten storytellers are selected to share their themed tales (that night's theme was Duped), are rated based on a few criterion (adherence to time length, relevance to theme, etc.), and the winner moves on to the next round. The stories were absolutely hilarious. Favorites of the night included 1) adorably awkward girl who originated the Found Cat (possum) poster 2) girl who, equipped only with a crayon nub and a marijuana-clouded head, pretended to be press to sneak into a reggae concert and 3) who undoubtedly received the most laughs all night: super high guy who recounted being stormed in on by cops. (I guess pot was the other theme of the night?) Retelling someone else's funny story (especially when the person doing the retelling is me) pretty much eliminates any hope for future laughs, so I'm not even gonna try. Just get your butt to a show, and I guarantee you some giggles. Calendar here.

Folding Paper: The Infinite Possibilities of Origami at the Japanese American National Museum: Small, but super cool exhibit! There were a lot of crazy-intricate pieces, but my favorites were the ones with simple, minimal foldings. (Favorites of this night were: Florence Temko, Paulo Mulatinho, and Giang Dinh). I wish I had photos to share, but unfortunately I was a good, rule-abiding museum patron. Tip: go to the museum on Thursdays from 5-8PM and it's-a-free!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this post! My man loves origami and I think he'd really appreciate the exhibit... I'm going to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you definitely should! I hope you guys enjoy it!

      Delete