4/1/12

Sunday Treat


I remember one time I was shopping for Spam musubi ingredients at the Vons next to my college apartment. I bumped into an acquaintance at the checkout line, right next to my little Spam parade making its way down the conveyer belt. Now, despite how awesome I find Spam, it's not exactly the most fashionable food item. It ain't no macaron, to say the least. (Which I am currently mad at. At least until I figure out how the heck to make 'em. Crispy, flat meringue pancakes anyone?) Because of this, I felt the need to interject my culinary intentions. Me, the girl involved with sustainable food issues, eating Spam? Didn't seem to mesh too well. Celebrating a beloved snack in Japanese/Hawaiian culture? Somehow made it seem more okay.

Rolling with the theme of embarrassing(ly) good foods, that above is a hot dog bbang (bread) from Cake House in Koreatown. I love Asian bakeries, and this place has my favorite rendition of this awesome creation. It's basically just bread with two small pieces of hot dog sausage inside, but why-is-it-so-good-dangit. I like popping it in the toaster, so the exterior gets nice and crispy. With my two part-time jobs and one very-full-time schedule, my slow Sunday mornings are such a treat. Add some hot dog bbang. Even better.

Also, despite sightings of friendly night skies last week, they were in no way indicative of how my week would be. My week basically culminated in a tear-filled monologue on the third floor of a Barnes and Noble, with my gracious and patient friend as my sole audience. (Thank you, S!) I've been frustrated over the fact that, job-wise, I'm not at a place I want to be. And what's more frustrating, I have no idea where that place is. I know that I want to be in some sort of creative field, but thaaat's about as far as I've gotten. It doesn't help that doubt and negative thinking are usually camped nearby whenever I pore over this topic. I realize that this is a luxury, to have this be my biggest dilemma, but it's been pretty draining, nonetheless. Here's to staying optimistic and determined this week.

9 comments:

  1. Love the sausage roll because I too love Asian bakeries! My favorite is the bun with dried flaky BBQ pork on it (do you know what I'm talking about?). Either way-- great post and I totally don't hold it against you for buying spam. Spam is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know which bread you're talking about, but I've yet to try it. I'll definitely pick one up next time I'm at a Chinese bakery!

      Delete
  2. Hahaha I feel you on the spam issue! It ain't no macaron, indeed. But people who don't get spam don't get LIFE. Okay, maybe that's a bit harsh. But you know, kinda true.

    Anyway, what I really wanted to say is that after years of working in film/tv production/casting/animation development and before all of that even briefly giving a go at acting, I always knew I wanted to wanted to be in a creative field but nothing ever really fit til photography. So just keep at it, and don't give up, because you have such a great aesthetic, I know that you will find what is right for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ami! Your comment was such a day brightener. :) It's really encouraging to know that you eventually found your calling in photography. Taking your advice to heart!

      And, yes. Spam is amazing, and I really don't get people who think otherwise.

      Delete
  3. I aso feel you on the spam issue :D

    I grew up in Hawaii, so it only seems normal. I remember when I first moved to mainland, I was sad when people were all grossed out by it. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I don't understand it either. But...I find Vienna Sausage to be gross, though I've never tried it. So, I guess I can see how people view Spam? (Not really, though...)

      Delete
  4. Just keep doing what you're doing! I think this blog is amazing and I'm sure opportunities, ideas and your ultimate path will become obvious. You're one of the most multi-talented people that I know!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you so much for the encouragement, Mary! I sometimes think about how I'll probably look back in hindsight and see little hints as to what I should be doing. As for now, I could probably stand to be a little more patient. :P

      Delete
  5. I too LOVE Asian bakeries, I am spoiled here in the SGV!

    ReplyDelete