5/6/12

Make: BabyCakes NYC Banana Bread


Guess what? I've been a vegan for the past couple of weeks. I was feeling really sluggish and gross, so I knew I had to change something. A few years ago, during my two year stint as a vegetarian, I tried out a vegan diet for a month. I always recall how dang good I felt that month. I ate so many vegetables, had more energy, and was kinda surprised at how easy it was. (My mom's nickname for me was "Meat Killer" for a while.) I guess I wanted to relive that nutritional nostalgia, so I'm back to a vegan diet. I'm glad to say that: I'm eating so many vegetables, have more energy, and am kinda surprised at how easy it is. I don't think this will be permanent (I mean, tacos!), but I don't plan on pulling the brakes anytime soon. It's been really nice to incorporate some healthy habits in my life. 

Well, with all that said, one of my vices is definitely breads and pastries. This week I had a hankering for something sweet and bready, so I looked to BabyCakes NYC to help satisfy my craving. Now, I am not really a believer in vegan baked goods. I'm sorry but my taste buds have simply been wronged too many times for me to get down with baked vegan desserts. But with that said, BabyCakes NYC is definitely the exception. The first time I tried their blueberry donut, my immediate thought was, "This is vegan?!" And, honestly, isn't that the highest compliment a vegan baker can receive? 

I perused their recipes and decided to try their banana bread. It's a super simple recipe and it tastes delicious. I love that there's no refined sugar in the recipe. Simply sweetened with bananas and agave nectar. This recipe is definitely ripe (ha) for adaptation. Add chocolate chips, walnuts, blueberries, etc. I think I might try using almond milk and raw agave nectar next time. I only wish that this bread would develop a crusty exterior. That was the only thing withholding the "This is vegan?!" reaction from me. Any tips?

   
 Combine wet & dry ingredients.
Make muffins with the extra batter!

1 comment:

  1. I gotta say I was really surprised by the moistness and sweetness of the banana bread. I totally thought, "This is vegan?!" :)

    ReplyDelete